OpenStep 4.2 and PS/2 mouse problems

Started by cuby, January 12, 2006, 06:03:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cuby

Hi,

I'm working on a set of patches for the qemu x86 system emulator (http://fabrice.bellard.free.fr/qemu/) to fully support running OpenStep 4.2.

Originally, the problems running OS 4.2 were a non-working PS/2 mouse, graphics problems with the CirrusLogic 5446 emulation in higher resolutions and color depths and nonfunctional networking (with either the built-in NE2000 PCI emulation and the open source NE2k PCI driver for OS or the AMD PCNet32 PCI emulation that is available as a patch for qemu and the OpenStep PCNet driver).

I solved the mouse problem by developing a bus mouse emulation for qemu (check the qemu-devel mailing list to retrieve the patch: http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2006-01/msg00004.html - or contact me by mail) and am currently working on resolving the graphics and networking issues.

But, I'd like to find out where the problems with OpenStep's PS/2 mouse driver really lie. I found some old postings in comp.sys.next that also mentioned problems on real (Pentium 1 era) PC hardware, so I assume this isn't restricted to incomplete emulations.

Can someone shed some light on the details here? I actually have the source of Rhapsody's PS/2 mouse driver here (from Darwin 0.3), but this does not seem to be 100% identical.

Michael
[/url]

eneville

On a related note, cuby, do you happen to have the full set of Darwin 0.3 source?  I ask since I'd always wanted to see what OPENSTEP/Rhapsody graphics driver code entails.  There was an effort some time back to build a VESA driver for Rhapsody, but it never materialized, and I was wondering whether it'd be worth reading up on some reference, some existing driver code, and giving it a go myself.

Also, seems the OPENSTEP AMDPCnet driver came after Rhapsody DR2.  As such, I can't seem to get my DR2 install online in VMWare.  Is there some place I might be able to find that driver?
________
Oxycontin Rehab Forum

cuby

Quote from: "eneville"On a related note, cuby, do you happen to have the full set of Darwin 0.3 source?

Unfortunately, no. I put a tarfile with the sources I have on http://ds.informatik.uni-marburg.de/~engel/Darwin-0.3.tar.gz. I'm currently analyzing which parts are actually missing (seems like quite some stuff from the driver kit). Building under OpenStep 4.2 works for a large part of the kernel, about 250 of the source files can be compiled, there are about 700 (IIRC) C source files overall.

QuoteI ask since I'd always wanted to see what OPENSTEP/Rhapsody graphics driver code entails.  There was an effort some time back to build a VESA driver for Rhapsody, but it never materialized, and I was wondering whether it'd be worth reading up on some reference, some existing driver code, and giving it a go myself.

There are only a few files related to graphics in my kernel sources. What might be interesting is kernel/bsd/dev/i386/FBConsole.c and kernel/bsd/dev/ppc/FBConsole.c. I suspect the driverkit sources are missing some graphics drivers?

QuoteAlso, seems the OPENSTEP AMDPCnet driver came after Rhapsody DR2.  As such, I can't seem to get my DR2 install online in VMWare.  Is there some place I might be able to find that driver?

There is a PCNet (PCI) driver on the OpenStep 4.2 install CD. Not sure about Rhapsody - the Darwin sources only have drivers for BMac, Tulip 21040 and Mace Ethernet (all in the ppc tree).

atanas

Hi cuby, I have just installed OPENSTEP 4.2 on VMWare Workstation 5.5.1, but I have the same problem with the mouse - after some time the pointer starts to move randomly. Have you found a solution for that (I know you are not running VMware, but it seems to be a common problem)?

neozeed

your patch rules!  Nextstep on qemu is a zillion times faster io wise then virtual pc.  Its a shame about the networking bit, I know on bochs they said something about the word, vs dword writes in the ne2000.. but I dont see what is broken, but then Im just surprised I got the ne2000 driver to compile.  As for the mouse thing, it reminds me of when PS/2 started to take over the AT keyboards, and some crappy models would suddenly swap the mouse & keyboard ports (dell).. weird stuff.
# include <wittycomment.h>

neozeed

I got sound working.  First I changed the sb16.c to use irq 7, instead of 5.  Then on the nextstep install, I removed the parallel port driver, and set the sound with the default 3.30 driver on irq7.  I can play all the sounds in the settings (Ni! is the best, you have to love any os that ships with something from the quest for the holy grail!)
# include <wittycomment.h>