BeOS - should I try it?

Started by Spasticteapot, December 26, 2006, 10:10:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spasticteapot

First...hello, everyone!

I've been looking at BeOS, and it looks brilliant for video editing. Any thoughts for a BeOS newbie?

memson

Quote from: "Spasticteapot"First...hello, everyone!

I've been looking at BeOS, and it looks brilliant for video editing. Any thoughts for a BeOS newbie?

Try it. You'll either love it or hate it, but it's worth trying.

Spasticteapot

Quote from: "memson"
Quote from: "Spasticteapot"First...hello, everyone!

Try it. You'll either love it or hate it, but it's worth trying.

Fair enough. Can anyone reccomend some parts that are BeOS compatible?

As a side note, who here thinks that BeOs will pull a Firefox, and return to popularity in a similar fashion to Firefox resulted from Mozilla? (Admittedly, BeOs is not technically open-source, but Haiku is working on replicating it.)

nextchef

Assuming one wishes to try out BeOS, what is the most up to date version to go with.  I have seen mention of version 4.5, 5, 5.03, 5.1, dano?, zeta, and the haiku implementations.  I plan on running it in vmware if possible, at least to get a feel for it, before designating one of the older PII or pentium systems to it.

So what do you think.  Does one stick with 5.03 the last "stable" release, or try the 5.1 Experimental.

Thanks

helf

I used to run beos r5.0.3 + BONE (networking package) + bits from haiku. ran ok, more or less.
After an apparent 15ish year hiatus... I'm baaaaack! :D (12/12/2023)

nextchef

Quote from: "helf"I used to run beos r5.0.3 + BONE (networking package) + bits from haiku. ran ok, more or less.

Did you run it on real hardware, or in a vm like vmware or virtualpc?

helf

I've never used it in a VM. I ran it on various pentium systems and a pentium 3 system.

ixo

Quote from: "helf"I used to run beos r5.0.3 + BONE (networking package) + bits from haiku. ran ok, more or less.
Is the r5.0.3 the last official revision from Be ?
Where can we get then BONE  package ?
Thank you

I used to run beos 5 pro on bi-celeron with personnal studio for non linear dv video editing.

Jean-Noël

helf

honestly, I have no idea where you would find BONE anymore. I haven't really used beos in ~2.5 years.

I still have a TON of BeOS apps on one of my storage hdds. I'll try getting into it this weekend and see if I have the beos bone pkg on it somewhere.

And yes, I think 5.0.3 was the last official release.