Another NS3.3 Intel user

Started by griffo, February 19, 2007, 04:34:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

griffo

Greetings,
              I thought I should stick my head above the parapet and say hi.

I have been tinkering with NS on and off for a while on various white hardware for the past 10 years or so.

I have finally got back to rebuilding NS 3.3 on my main obscure :shock: O/S PC (NS, Beos, Plan 9).

For interest the spec is as follows:

Asus P2B-L
PII-350
512MB
Matrox Millenium II (8MB)
Seagate Hawk 2GB SCSI
NEC SCSI CD
SoundBlaster AWE32
Adaptec 1542C

NS works v.well with the Beta drivers for the Millenium and the inbuilt Intel Pro+ (82558) network interface works fine 82557 driver.

As you might expect, there is a lot of juggling of irqs/ports to get all of this hardware to co-exist... in the end I had to disable the onboard serial ports to free up enough irqs.

The only problem at the moment is the audio is somewhat intermittent in operation, so it looks like I still need to do some more tinkering.

I also have another lower spec PC which runs NS,

80486 DX2/66
32MB
Cirrus Logic VLB (which does 1024x768 greyscale)
528MB IDE
SMC Elite Ultra 16

which I guess was the developer spec of "choice" back in the early days of  the first white version of NS.

I remember running this up at work many years ago and marvelled at how easily I could print to the HP network printers and login to the Novell 3.x servers on the intranet... so seemless. More recently I fired up the x3270 emulator and was able to use/abuse our decrepit old mainframe based fault management system... still didn't make it fun  :).

Anyway apart from getting all the h/w wrinkles sorted out, I'm keen to improve the general dev (compiling) environment and learn a bit more about under the hood. Having spent the last years working in a primarily Solaris environment, the BSD/Mach flavour is refreshing.

Cheers

griffo