Problems installing NS 3.3 on White

Started by Sea_of_Cortez, April 28, 2007, 10:33:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sea_of_Cortez

Hi,

After about 6 months of searching I finally got myself a copy of NeXTSTEP 3.3 from eBay. I don't have any black hardware (yet!), so I've been trying to install it onto two old Dells that I own. But I'm having problems...

Here are the specs for the Dells -

Dell Optiplex (refurbished - not by me) -
MAXTOR 2B010H1 Hd
SAMSUNG CD-ROM SN-124
Floppy Drive

Dell Dimension 4100 -
MAXTOR 5T040H4 Hd
SAMSUNG DVD-ROM SD-612
SONY CD-RW CRX140E
SCSIVAX DVD/CD-ROM SCSI CDROM
Floppy Drive

I've got all the 3.3 drivers from the Apple site, and I've been following the instructions given here.

This is the problem I repeatedly run into, however -

hd0: Maxtor 2B010H1 WAK21R90
hd0: 16383 cylinders, 16 heads, 63 spt (disk geometry)
hd0: using multisector (16) transfers
Registering: hd0
Registering: hd0a
hd0: No Valid Disk Label
hd0: Device Block Size: 512 bytes
hd0: Device Capacity: 3967 MB
Registering: event0
Registering: KmDevice0
No SCSI controller or CD-ROM drive found
use sd%d, hd%d, fd%d, en%d or tr%d

That's from the Optiplex, but the Dimension leads to the same problem.

Choosing any option from the last line just gives me kernel panic. I'd be really grateful if someone could give me some advice on what to do, as I'm eager to get this amazing OS up and running ASAP.

Cheers guys,
Chris

MacG4

yeah i get this same errors on my system to.....i have tried all different drivers etc...and still nothing...im lost
"keeping the NeXT legacy alive one day at a time"
-NeXTStation Mono, NeXTStation Turbo Mono, NeXTStation Turbo Color-

MacG4

helf

Have you tried the custom driver floppies that are floating around? I don't know if you get them from apples site or what but they have a bunch of drivers that arent on the normal 3.3 install floppies.
After an apparent 15ish year hiatus... I'm baaaaack! :D (12/12/2023)

MacG4

i have the beta and core drivers disk

da9000

Quote from: "Sea_of_Cortez"

It seems it's not finding your CDROM device. You have to use some trickery because of a bug in the installer:

Initially choose the Adaptec 154x driver. Then choose the "EIDE and ATAPI" driver. Make sure both are on the primary interface as master (hdd) and slave (cdrom).

Of course this won't guarantee it will work. NS is picky...

da9000

Quote from: "MacG4"i have the beta and core drivers disk

Is there a doc that describes what are the differences? I'm not sure what the "core drivers" disk has that differs from the "drivers disk" :?

MacG4

Quote from: "da9000"

It seems it's not finding your CDROM device. You have to use some trickery because of a bug in the installer:

Initially choose the Adaptec 154x driver. Then choose the "EIDE and ATAPI" driver. Make sure both are on the primary interface as master (hdd) and slave (cdrom).

have done this about million times and always got the same result

Sea_of_Cortez

Quote from: "MacG4"
Quote from: "da9000"

have done this about million times and always got the same result

...yes, me too... But worth another go...

Thanks, BTW, da9000...

I have a floppy image for 3.3_Addl_Drivers ('additional drivers', I presume), so I'll try that (I think that image is actually on the Apple site). If I get no success I'll try it in Qemu (or even VMware player? Is that possible?). If still no success then I'm just going to have to build my own machine. And if THAT doesn't work I'm finally going to have to get myself some Black hardware... from somewhere!

da9000

...yes, me too... But worth another go...

Thanks, BTW, da9000...

I have a floppy image for 3.3_Addl_Drivers ('additional drivers', I presume), so I'll try that (I think that image is actually on the Apple site).

Yeah, NS is very picky. I've had it work (on a Pentium Pro machine and P2 with BX chipset) and I've also had it not work.

Another thing you can try is the Beta drivers. So, pick the Adaptec AHA154x driver first, but then don't use the Additional Drivers floppy, but the Beta Drivers floppy and in there the very last driver is called something like "Primary and Secondary bla bla IDE bla bla". That allowed me to boot with the CD-ROM on the secondary channel and master or slave, I don't recall right now.

If I get no success I'll try it in Qemu (or even VMware player? Is that possible?). If still no success then I'm just going to have to build my own machine.

I've heard others having success with those, so search the forums to see the various experiences.

And if THAT doesn't work I'm finally going to have to get myself some Black hardware... from somewhere!

That method wilL DEFINITELY work :D

MacG4

alright will have to try it out myself. ns is way to picky

nextchef

Quote from: "Sea_of_Cortez"If I get no success I'll try it in Qemu (or even VMware player? Is that possible?). If still no success then I'm just going to have to build my own machine. And if THAT doesn't work I'm finally going to have to get myself some Black hardware... from somewhere!

Black hardware is always best :D , but I have successfully run OS4.2 in Vmware workstation 5.5.  It can be quite a chore, especially trying to get the drivers installed with the messed up mouse you get by default.  I have never tried NS3.3 in VMware, so I do not know if there will be any difference in how it is installed.

Chef

Nightengale

Wish itomato would chime in. He was 'da man as far as I could tell
NeXT Turbo Color 4.2, HP Pavillion w/4.2,MacBook Pro, PPC G5 dual 2.7 10.5.8, Imac G4 20 inch

Sea_of_Cortez

Well, I've given up trying to install 3.3 on any of my Intel machines, but I have managed to install it on VMWare Workstation 5.5 (WinXP version). The mouse is lousy, though (it's a USB mouse). Does anyone know if any patches are available?

Update: found one here.

Sea_of_Cortez

Pleased to report that after deciding to have one last go at it I managed to install 3.3 to my Dell Optiplex! :D :D :D This time I made a new partition of 2GB, and I think it was that that did the trick. Very pleased with it, but I'd like to change the display driver from the default VGA. The computer has an Intel 82810 card - is there a driver for that?