Problems installing NS 3.3 on White

Started by Sea_of_Cortez, April 28, 2007, 09:33:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kronoman

There's no driver for the i810 specifically, but there is a VESA driver, which will work, if somewhat slowly. (all drawing operations are handled by the CPU with VESA, but it works!).

Also, if you have NS 3.3 RISC, you can run it on HP and Sun hardware too, which is easier to find these days than black, and almost as trouble-free (on an SS5/TCX or an HP 712).
NeXTstation Turbo Color|Sun SS20,Ultra 2,10,60,80,B2k|PowerMac G3,Quadra 950|SGI Indigo2, Power Indigo2, Fuel

Sea_of_Cortez

Thanks, kronoman. Any idea where I can get hold of that? I don't see any VESA drivers listed in either the nextcomputers.org archives or on the Apple site.

I used this SVGA driver while running NS 3.3 under VMWare workstation. Wonder if it would work on an actual machine?

UPDATE: tried the VMWare driver, and it did absolutely nothing.

I've read that there was a VESA driver included with the Openstep 4.2 Y2K patch - might that work with NS 3.3?

kronoman

Ack, yeah, that's the VESA driver I was thinking of... Hm. I assumed that the latest NeXTSTEP 3.3 patch would include it as well. Perhaps not :(
NeXTstation Turbo Color|Sun SS20,Ultra 2,10,60,80,B2k|PowerMac G3,Quadra 950|SGI Indigo2, Power Indigo2, Fuel

Sea_of_Cortez

Well I've installed NS patch3 (latest) from the Apple site and it doesn't appear to include that driver (though there's nothing in the Openstep 4.2 patch documentation mentioning a vesa driver).

I do also own an Openstep User CD, so I'll have a go at installing that to my other Intel box. I couldn't install it to VMWare Workstation, so perhaps the disc isn't functional anymore; I'll give it a go, anyway, as my persistence with NS eventually paid off. Thanks for your help.

kronoman

If you're looking for a card that NS 3.3 will like, you might find a Matrox Millennium G100/200/400/450 on eBay quite inexpensively. Also, some early ATi Mach64/Rage cards should work.

Sea_of_Cortez

Thanks for the tip, I'll check those out.

UPDATE: Just purchased a Matrox Millenium G200 from eBay! :D Only £4.99 (approx. 8 Euros).

da9000

What size were you trying before? (for the partition)

Sea_of_Cortez

I wasn't partitioning before, I was just attempting to install straight onto a 10GB hard disk. I did also install a Bus Logic SCSI driver with the successful install, however, so maybe it was that that fixed it rather than making a new partition - though I think I read somewhere that NeXTSTEP likes a 2-4GB partition (OpenStep is even pickier?).

I've just received my Matrox Millenium card, so I'm going to set it up and see if I can get some decent screen resolution (and colour) now.

da9000

Quote from: "Sea_of_Cortez"I wasn't partitioning before, I was just attempting to install straight onto a 10GB hard disk. I did also install a Bus Logic SCSI driver with the successful install

Sorry, I meant the question for MacG4 and the others trying to install NS on white hardware. Perhaps the partition size was causing them problems?

Sea_of_Cortez

It would seem likely. I can't remember where I read about it (possibly somewhere on these boards?), but I'm pretty sure that OpenStep won't tolerate anything above 2GB - which seems ridiculously small by today's standards, but there you go. I initially tried a 6GB partition which NS didn't like (kernel panic), and only tried 2GB out of sheer desperation. It did the trick, though.

I should add that I didn't use the drivers from Apple's archive, but ones customized for installing OpenStep to VMWare Workstation under Linux. Unfortunately the site I obtained them from no longer seems to be available, but here's the url anyway -

http://julliard.homeip.net/~laurent/GNUstep/OS42_Install.html

Update: Just remembered this site. It gives instructions for installing NS to VMWare Workstation, and unfortunately my German's a bit rusty, but at figure 10 it clearly states that NS has problems with partitions bigger than 4GB -

'Bei größeren GB-Werten (ich glaube ab 4 etwa) hat Nextstep Schwierigkeiten.'

trans:

'At larger GB values (I believe starting from about 4) Nextstep has difficulties.'

da9000

Yes, I was aware of the partition limit, so that's why I'm wondering what the other folks have been trying to use as a partition size, because perhaps that's the cause of their problems.

Good tip though, about the drivers, and the links, especially the German one. The other is unfortunately dead, but perhaps in the archive.org

nextchef