Sync On Green monitor database

Started by da9000, May 01, 2007, 06:41:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

da9000

urbanape

Awesome, thanks! It finally gave me the impetus to hook up the 'station to my 24" Dell monitor. Worked like a charm. Now, to clean out the guts to make the NS run more quietly...

I'd almost given up hope on this guy. I've got a 21" Next Display that I think I'll be getting rid of now :^)

da9000

Quote from: "urbanape"Awesome, thanks! It finally gave me the impetus to hook up the 'station to my 24" Dell monitor. Worked like a charm.

Glad this was of assistance!

When you say 24" Dell, are you talking about the 2407WFP ?? If so, that's GREAT news, because it's an excellent LCD screen and I want to get one too!

urbanape

Yes, it is the 2407WFP. I'm not sure I'd use it for the next. It's widescreen, so there's a good deal of wasted space, and it looks like the display is a little stretched. Maybe there are menu options for it.

However, browsing Dell's site today, I see they have some 19" LCDs for only $199, which seems like a steal. I've got the 24" hooked up to my MacBook (NeXTbook ;^) )

It is a lurvely monitor, though. Highly recommended.

da9000

Quote from: "urbanape"Yes, it is the 2407WFP. I'm not sure I'd use it for the next. It's widescreen, so there's a good deal of wasted space, and it looks like the display is a little stretched....
It is a lurvely monitor, though. Highly recommended.

Yeah, I don't recall about a menu option to fix that, but it's definitely a fantastic monitor: true 24bit color (and very beautiful, as well as super-dark for movie playback), super-fast (was it 6ms) pixel updates, picture-in-picture and picture-by-picture, built-in USB 2.x hub, super awesome/ergonomic tilt-rotate base and arm, and the best: 5 different types of inputs and HD compliant.

Only 2 big problems that I have with it:
1) picture-by-picture is implemented in a very *DUMB* way because instead of using the full vertical resolution and sticking two 4:3 screens next to each other, it downscales them and they become not only smaller but unreadable. Which makes the feature useless, really. And I was hoping to use that feature to have 2 computer screens in one... Sad.

2) The picture-in-picture only accepts as source the SVHS/Composite inputs :(  Once again, I wanted to have the VGA source as the smaller picture (Linux or something) and the DVI as the bigger (Mac OS X)

One last thing that I never got to try: I wonder if it will upconvert a 15Khz *RGB* signal. So if anyone has this screen and a game console (or CDTV/Amiga) that outputs a TV-compatible (15Khz) but RGB (not composite/RF) signal, please try it and tell us if the screen will actually SYNC to it. Thanks in advance.