Any success with networking with VMWare ???

Started by macguybrazil, May 09, 2007, 11:06:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

macguybrazil

Hi for all,

anyone here did have success with the networking of NS 3.3 with VMWare server 1.03? I used some tips provide by the forum like:

0- login with root account
1 -disable / remove netinfo preferences
2- go to hostmanager.app and set a local and follow other procedures
3- create a resolv.conf file inside of /etc

but after the reboot and with the networking process have been loaded nothing happen besides of a crash. i have to login again in single mode and edit my hostconfig file to -NO- to have a normal access . I copy all my network info from VMNetwork editor (DHCP info). In VMWare network i set my access for use NAT.

Any help?

nextchef

I have OS4.2 networking working in VMware workstation 5.5, at least mostly.  I can ping any ip in the world, but can not get DNS resolution working.  I have a proper resolv.conf in /etc, have followed the cablemodem seup pdf exactly, and manually verified the values in the config files, but no luck yet.  I followed the same procedure in my NeXT and sparc installs, and both those worked fine.  I think I will create another vm and try NS3.3 to see if that is any different.

Chef

nextchef

Finally got it working.  Killed all the netinfo stuff, and set it up for the third time, and now it works.  I think netinfomanager was crashing, or not saving things properly before, so I explicitly saved every step along the way.

Chef

macguybrazil

Chef, what configuration do you use into vmware for networking? Nat, brigde,etc? do you use DSL or cable modem? Could provide some information?

thanks

:)

nextchef

Quote from: "macguybrazil"Chef, what configuration do you use into vmware for networking? Nat, brigde,etc? do you use DSL or cable modem? Could provide some information?

I used the NAT setup for the network.  You need to go into the VMware network settings and find out what ip address range is being used, so you can pick one to use in NS/OS.

Chef

aragon

I am running on VMWare Workstation. I started out with a 4.5.3 install, but I could not get either the AMD nor the VMXnet drivers running.

A new reinstall of a more recent VMWare WS (5.5) solved my problems. Now VMXnet is up and running, I am currently operation in host network mode for my tests.

Hope this helps...

macguybrazil

Success !!!!

Remove all netinfo stuff again
set hostmanager as local with informations from VMWare (manager virtual networks) -> network DCHP. copy all information !
resolv.conf make inside of /etc
VMware set to use NAT
reboot

Now surfing in web using Omniweb 2.7b

8)

aragon

Hmmm, I still have some problems.

All of a sudden my network connection seems to cause a kernel panic.
Did you experience any problems like this? I'm still looking for a solution to this.

BTW: I'm having fun browsing the web with OmniWeb, too. I have to admit that the retro look on those sites looks very cool to me! Reminds me of the good (?) old Netscape days  :wink:

nextchef

Quote from: "aragon"Hmmm, I still have some problems.

All of a sudden my network connection seems to cause a kernel panic.
Did you experience any problems like this? I'm still looking for a solution to this.

BTW: I'm having fun browsing the web with OmniWeb, too. I have to admit that the retro look on those sites looks very cool to me! Reminds me of the good (?) old Netscape days  :wink:

No problems as of yet with the network, but I have not done any heavy browsing on it yet.  I do get some GUI drawing errors from time to time where a dialog box will have its elements scrambled or upside down/reversed.  The vid driver also does not behave well with my desktop size and color depth on my desktop at work, so I have to change my resolution, start the vm, and then change it back to get proper colors.  A known issue with the Atomic display driver.

Chef

macguybrazil

Aragon,

so far so good with the network access to internet.

i have some kernel panics using omniweb 2.7b3 too.

:(

aragon

Hey,

I decided to drop the author of  the vmxnet drivers for Nextstep a mail about this problem. He answered within 1 hour (wow!) and sent me an updated version. Perhaps it helped that we both are located in Germany ;-)

He is running this driver only in Openstep 4.2, but he heard from someone else about the kernel panics in NS 3.x. He did a few updates on the driver internals. I still have to do some more meaningful tests, but my first impression is that maybe this driver works ok!

I will let you know of the results. I will ask Jens to release the new driver version if the tests are ok.

macguybrazil

aragon

Damn, this guy really *is* fast.

See the next post for the download location ;-)
[[Direct link removed by request]]

Seems he would like to have some more testers ;-)

Please let him know if the driver works well for you.

Morgon

Quote from: "aragon"Damn, this guy really *is* fast. Here's the link to the new driver version:
http://mitglied.lycos.de/Morgon_de/downloads/VMXNet-1.3.I.bs.tar.gz

I had this new version of the driver around for about 1 month. As I already said in my mail I did the update as we had some long term problems with the old driver version in our company where OpenStep is running under VMWare 24/7 as Netinfo and fax server.  After some days to weeks running the network perfomance broke in and we had to reboot OpenStep to get it running well again.

Due to that two months ago I completely rewrote the internal memory handling of the driver to be more efficient and more stable against overflows of the network buffers.

I had planned to release that new version (1.3) after some months of testing in our company to ensure there are new bugs in it making it unstable (as was the case with a thing I tried in version 1.2 :-) ).

Your mail made me skip that longer testing so you could try if it helps with the problems in NS 3.x as I have the NS 3.3 CDs around but no time to try that on my own. Tho chances are small that I can fix anything else if there are still some serious bugs like kernel panics with the new version, as at this time I have no more ideas what else to change to make it more stable ;-)

Greetings,
Morgon

PS: Instead of using the direct link posted above it would be nice if you get the new driver from the download section using the main site http://mitglied.lycos.de/Morgon_de as the page is hosted at Lycos for free and they don't like it if too much data is downloaded without the pages beeing shown (since they can't place any ads on the downloads :-) ). Thank you.

macguybrazil

Success again!

Now i have both, under my VMWare server/Win XP Pro, nextstep 3.3 and openstep 4.2 surfing in web. The new challenge is to do nextmail work with an ordinary email account (gmail for example).
:D

PS: thanks Morgon for the new network drive! their are working very well under next and open environment