Multiple framebuffers under NS3.3 SPARC

Started by AStar617, May 16, 2007, 08:02:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nextchef

Quote from: "da9000"
Quote from: "AStar617"
Yes, the board (and most others in the Cycle lineup) was developed for that very purpose--to provide an upgrade path to a box that otherwise would not have one through Sun. Finding a Cycle 5 board may prove to be difficult however, as the boards weren't exactly common back then, nevermind today.

Wow. So, are you saying board as in motherboard or add-on board? I assume the former, but not 100% sure..

As far as I can tell, it is a complete motherboard swap, and a new badge on the front that makes it a Cycle5 ipx.  I will try to take some pics and post them for those who have not seen one.  It seems to be a fairly speedy little box, as OS does not seem sluggish at all.

Chef

AStar617

Quote from: "da9000"
Quote from: "AStar617"
Yes, the board (and most others in the Cycle lineup) was developed for that very purpose--to provide an upgrade path to a box that otherwise would not have one through Sun. Finding a Cycle 5 board may prove to be difficult however, as the boards weren't exactly common back then, nevermind today.

Wow. So, are you saying board as in motherboard or add-on board? I assume the former, but not 100% sure..

You assumed correct--it's a replacement motherboard with SS5 functionality in a "lunchbox" formfactor.
NeXTstation color slab: still in surgery | SPARCstation 5/110: 128mb, 4gb, 3xCG6, NS3.3risc | HP 712/60: still in surgery | Plus too many Suns to list

da9000

A motherboard, indeed. Cool. Thanks for the links (and upcoming photos) nextchef, that's some good info! That's one powerful lunchbox. Much more memory too! The IPC/IPX design was really nice, and with such an "expansion" it's trully powerful!