NeXT DSP Memory Expansion Module

Started by Nitro, June 04, 2007, 02:39:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cuby

QuoteThe FPGA would be there to:
    - Emulate 56001

Why not use yet another ARM core to emulate the 56001?

If we built an FPGA to emulate the NeXT chipset, we could also use a real 68k CPU (as mentioned in the previous post about the MiniMig Amiga – but the existing MiniMig only has a 68000).

I would expect that the MC68040_V_ should be able to directly interface to 3.3V FPGA signals.

MrPix

If you think you could deal with the configurable logic side of things, I would 100% fund and develop the hardware side.

It's that simple.

MrPix

Quote from: cuby on June 22, 2022, 12:38:07 AMI would expect that the MC68040_V_ should be able to directly interface to 3.3V FPGA signals.

My instinct here is to simply surround the 680X0 with 74LVCH16245s as level shifters, so it could work with any FPGA from 2.5 to 5V. This would allow the use of much cheaper and larger 2.5V or 3.3V DRAMs.

I think this notional project has coalesced enough that it needs its own thread now ;)

MrPix

MrPix

Revised PCBs have arrived and are sat on the bench awaiting assembly.

bushnrvn

Rob Blessin Black Hole

Hello Bushnvr: "Dave" Mr. Pix had a second heart attack and is undergoing surgery this coming week. I covered one of his projects but let's hope he recovers and returns to good health. I'm not sure if he actually sent in the order to manufacture the first round so lets call it status unknown . 
Rob Blessin President computerpowwow ebay  [email protected] http://www.blackholeinc.com
303-741-9998 Serving the NeXT Community  since 2/9/93

bushnrvn

Oh, my goodness, I'm so sorry to hear that. Yes, his health is obviously the top priority. Sending him my thoughts and best wishes.

zombie

Oh man, wishing Dave a speedy and full recovery. So sorry to hear!

helf

@Rob Blessin Black Hole any update on Dave? @MrPix ?

And on the topic of dsp cache, since I havent found any info online, what is the bandwidth of the 56001 talking to its cache and its cache to mainmemory?
After an apparent 15ish year hiatus... I'm baaaaack! :D (12/12/2023)