Connect a NeXTdimension Cube to a Flat Panel Monitor

Started by Nitro, January 28, 2006, 11:37:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

da9000

Hey guys,

I'm curious where one can get one of these "split" cables that are seen in Nitro's photos of his NeXTStation, which split the signals that go to the SoundBox and the monitor (LCD in his case).

Thanks

blackcube

Quote from: "da9000"Hey guys,

I'm curious where one can get one of these "split" cables that are seen in Nitro's photos of his NeXTStation, which split the signals that go to the SoundBox and the monitor (LCD in his case).

Thanks

Those are standard "Y" cables for a NeXTStation Color or Color Turbo.  Ebay,  Rob at Blackhole or maybe someone on this list who might have a spare probably be your only sources.

James
www.blackcube.org - The Texas State Home for Orphaned and Wayward Computers

da9000

Ah, great! Thanks James. I've just gotten a station to play with and I guess I'll be needing one of these... The search is on!

Harbourmaster

The link to a1net in the original post appears to be broken now.

Here is an alternate source for this part current price is $8.46 each

Sun 13W3-M to HD15-F (VGA) Video Port Adapter

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10401&cs_id=1040110&p_id=71&seq=1&format=2

krfkeith

I can follow up that that one works very well, i have it
Newton MessagePad 2100, Original MessagePad (OMP), 2 DataRover 840s
Gateway Laptop w/ OPENSTEP 4.2
NeXTstation Color & Turbo Color

Nitro

Quote from: "Harbourmaster"The link to a1net in the original post appears to be broken now.

Here is an alternate source for this part current price is $8.46 each

Sun 13W3-M to HD15-F (VGA) Video Port Adapter

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10401&cs_id=1040110&p_id=71&seq=1&format=2

Thanks for the link.  I'll update the original post since that adapter isn't available anymore.
Nitro

it68000

QuoteSun 13W3-M to HD15-F (VGA) Video Port Adapter

For european users what seems to be the same adapter is available here from time to time:

http://stores.ebay.it/K1Connectivity-Store

I've gotten mine from them.
NEXTstation Turbo Color with NEXTSTEP 3.3, OPENSTEP 4.2 emulated on Parallels for PC, NEXTCube Dimension (25Mhz)

cubist

Another datapoint:  A viewsonic VP950b LCD syncs up to a NextDimension but the results aren't entirely satisfactory.  Vertically stretched and the horizontal position cannot be centered without narrowing the scan even more.  Ticking over the entire manual horizontal size range never produced a really nice font appearance.  Better than no monitor but only barely.  Will play some more with it...

cubist

I sent off a quick note to Viewsonic with the idea of getting recommendations for improving the situation with NeXT video formats and LCD monitors.  It's not promising but it was an honest response from the company:
QuoteViewSonic LCD desktop displays are non-continuous frequency
displays --- they only operate at certain scanning frequencies. Most
of ViewSonic CRT displays are continuous frequency. All ViewSonic LCD
desktop displays are designed to work with source devices that output
video timing formats that are defined in the Video Electronics
Standards Association (VESA) Display Monitor Timing (DMT) Standard.
1120 x 832 at 68Hz and 72Hz are not VESA DMT Standard timing formats.
Therefore, ViewSonic cannot guarantee that our LCD desktop displays
will work with the NeXt Computer. It may be possible to use a CRT
display. Most CRT displays are capable of displaying many
non-standard video timing formats as long as the horizontal and
vertical scanning frequencies are within the range limits for the
display and there is sufficient horizontal and vertical blanking
time.
So I'd like to know if anyone using non-Viewsonic monitors is getting an image the is properly framed on the screen and doesn't have blurring artifacts from internal resampling for standard VESA screen resolutions.

helf

wow, I'm surprised you actually even got a response. That alone is pretty impressive :P
After an apparent 15ish year hiatus... I'm baaaaack! :D (12/12/2023)

cubist

Quote from: "helf"wow, I'm surprised you actually even got a response. That alone is pretty impressive :P

So was I.  I wrote back and thanked them for making the effort.  They get points with me for that (just try it with, say, Belkin sometime).

cubist

Quote from: "cubist"So was I.  I wrote back and thanked them for making the effort.  They get points with me for that (just try it with, say, Belkin sometime).

Even better:  they wrote back with an offer to at least evaluate potential monitor candidates.  They need front and backporch timings, sync timings, etc. and I no longer have access to the gear that can do this.  (Well, I have one scope that can get close but it will be imprecise.)  So I'm challenging the community for timings for the three color hardware machines:  colorstation, turbo colorstation, and ND.  Anyone want to step up?

krfkeith

Newton MessagePad 2100, Original MessagePad (OMP), 2 DataRover 840s
Gateway Laptop w/ OPENSTEP 4.2
NeXTstation Color & Turbo Color

cubist

Quote from: "krfkeith"OOH! Me!!!! I have a turbo color station!

You're offering to provide timings for the TCS?

helf

I would if I had the equipment.

krfkeith, he needs 'timings', not just someone that has a turbo color.
After an apparent 15ish year hiatus... I'm baaaaack! :D (12/12/2023)