Again, Sync on Green TFT, ADB vs. non-ADB

Started by it68000, June 28, 2007, 05:12:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

it68000

Hello,

Recently I've got a wonderful NEXTstation Turbo Color ADB :D (a thank to macsimski).

I've connected the NEXT to an 17" EIZO CRT by a 13W3 to VGA adapter and the picture displayed is very good :D.
However when I use my 19" Viewsonic LCD VX922 the picture is weird :(. The proportions are out of order: the image is elongated along the vertical direction exceeding the display area in this direction.

I used exactly the same Viewsonic LCD with a non-ADB NEXTstation and the picture displayed was fine (correct image proportions with borders on both vertical and horizontal directions). So the point may be the video difference between ADB (72Hz output) and  non-ADB hardware (67Hz output).
However the Viewsonic LCD should handle video frequency up to 75Hz with no problems.

Did you have similar experience with other LCDs? May be due a wrong 13W3-VGA adapter wiring?

Another question. What happens to the video signal when I use non-ADB accessories on Turbo ADB machine?

Thanks in advance. :D
NEXTstation Turbo Color with NEXTSTEP 3.3, OPENSTEP 4.2 emulated on Parallels for PC, NEXTCube Dimension (25Mhz)

Nitro

I had the same problem with my Viewsonic LCD VX900.  It worked great with non-ADB hardware but the image was elongated when I switched it to ADB.

Quote from: "it68000"Another question. What happens to the video signal when I use non-ADB accessories on Turbo ADB machine?

Non-ADB accessories will work fine with your Turbo Machine.  The video frequency will drop from 72Hz (ADB) to 68Hz (non-ADB).

Edit by Nitro: Removed incorrect comment about Samsung 204B working with ADB.
Nitro

it68000

Thanks Nitro,

So it is a specific weirdness of Viewsonic VX LCD series monitors.

QuoteNon-ADB accessories will work fine with your Turbo Machine. The video frequency will drop from 72Hz (ADB) to 68Hz (non-ADB).

Perfect, I have replaced ADB accessories with non-ADB ones  to overcome the Viewsonic monitor issue :D
NEXTstation Turbo Color with NEXTSTEP 3.3, OPENSTEP 4.2 emulated on Parallels for PC, NEXTCube Dimension (25Mhz)

jheis

Which ADB accessory is it that causes the frequency shift from 68 to 72 Hz?  I'm guessing it is the sound box.

I have a non-ADB keyboard & mouse with my turbo cube, but I'm acquiring a turbo color station with, apparently, ADB accessories.  Will my non-ADB kb & mouse work with an ADB sound box?

I'd prefer buying a monitor that works out of the box rather than doing the trial by error thing.

James
NeXT Turbo Cube (acquired at factory auction), 128 MB ram, 2 Gig HP drive, running OPENSTEP 4.2.
2 Color Turbo NeXTstations.
Early mono NeXTstation.

it68000

From what I have read there's not a sure way to tell if a modern monitor will work for sure with NEXT computers.
Also if an LCD meets the minimum requirements (SOG etc...) it may not work or give problems, as different people have reported here.
When I've gotten my LCD I had in mind an alternative use beside NEXT in order to facilitate the decision to buy  :wink: .

MauiBoy

Has anyone here used a Sony SDM-X93 to connect to an ADB NeXTstation?  It is supposedly Sync-On-Green, and it is capable of 68 or 72Hz refresh rates.  It's even 1280x1024, so 1120x832 should fit nicely.  Instead, I get an elongated window that scrolls off the bottom.

I've tried two different 13W3 to VGA adapters (one from Sun and one from eBay).

Just curious if there is some setting I'm missing in the options to make it work correctly, as most of the Sonys on the SOG monitor database seem to work for their PS2 application.

Thanks!

ph

I picked up a Samsung 204B and it does NOT work correctly with my Turbo ADB Station.  The bottom about 1" is cut off. It is going back to the supplier.

Quote from: "Nitro"I had the same problem with my Viewsonic LCD VX900.  It worked great with non-ADB hardware but the image was elongated when I switched it to ADB.  I eventually swapped the monitor for a Samsung Syncmaster 204B which works with ADB and non-ADB hardware.  

Quote from: "it68000"Another question. What happens to the video signal when I use non-ADB accessories on Turbo ADB machine?

Non-ADB accessories will work fine with your Turbo Machine.  The video frequency will drop from 72Hz (ADB) to 68Hz (non-ADB).

Nitro

Quote from: "ph"I picked up a Samsung 204B and it does NOT work correctly with my Turbo ADB Station.  The bottom about 1" is cut off. It is going back to the supplier.

My apologies ph, I was incorrect.  The display on the Samsung 204B with ADB is cut off the exact height of one icon, which I didn't notice when tested.  I use a non-ADB keyboard on a daily basis with the 204B, so I only hooked up an ADB keyboard for the test.
Nitro